Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Pinterest , Google+ – so many social networking platforms and so little time we have! Persuading clients to join social media and spending real-time of leadership on it now becomes more challenging for marketers. I completely understand such sentiment. But when it comes to power your business effectively, social media is proved a powerful tool –alike to not only build trust and reliability, but also to establish a piece of the share of voice in a desired industry. Its sound familiar!
So, if you still haven’t jumped feet first into the social media frenzy, now is the time to get moving on that. As owner of your business empire or as you have your own marketing agency, you can’t afford to ignore it.
Actually, smart marketers constantly play with their segmentation strategy, adding their best efforts to ensure that the right message is reaching the right people at the right time. Certainly, the opportunity is grown for convincing new audiences, but to do so, first you have to understand where your potential customers are clustering.
In this blog, I’ll give a comprehensive overview of the 8 key social networking platforms which are used by specific type of industries for marketing their products. I also define some major brand names from the globe to know which specified social channel helped them to grow brand presence. I just want to empower you for aligning your marketing efforts with the social conversations, which is key matter today whereas making lasting, meaningful impact on core groups of brand loyalists.
With a community of over 400 million active users, Instagram beats its rival Twitter. This social platform is one of the rising stars of social media that rapidly expand its user base and make it an increasingly popular social network for brands. Let’s see its demographics to perceive if your target audience is on the site.
- 23%of 18–24 year olds use Instagram
- 26% of 25–34 year olds use Instagram
- 19% of 35-44 year olds use Instagram
- 15% of 45-54 year olds use Instagram
- 12% of 55-64 year olds use Instagram
- 4 % of people 65+ use Instagram
The most important factor for Instagram marketers are the age demographics. Because, Instagram's huge core audience are between the age of 25 and 34 year olds and a higher percentage of them are female versus male.
Which kind of industries should be on Instagram?
If your business is Image-friendly, Instagram can be your important platform. Your business might be related cloths and fashion, food, restaurants, architecture, technology, etc.
Because Instagram users are all crazy photographers, so when you snap a photo of your new collection of cloths and put energy into your images, you will get far better engagement. You can also show the fun stuff you are doing, your innovative shops, also current events and holidays celebrations.
Brands that rocks with Instagram:
- MTV — 4.9m current followers: When Instagram rolled out its new video component, MTV instantly deployed it for the Video Music Awards. And, declared nominees for the awards through “homemade”-style videos and posted behind-the-scenes content from its most popular shows.
- Mercedes Benz - 4.3m current followers: While the brand name in automobile manufacturers, Mercedes brought vehicle customization experience on Instagram with the launch of Build Your Own GLA campaign. This launch drive 36% unprecedented ad recall and lift 6% brand favorability with its audience. Department manager, digital marketing and CRM at Mercedes-Benz USA, Mark Aikman said, “Instagram is also a very visual platform, and we fortunately sell very aesthetically appealing products that work well on it."
With 1.55 billion worldwide users, Facebook is the world's largest social networking platform. Its ever-expanding following influence all businesses to build strong presence on this phenomenal social media portal. Here, you can see its demographics:
- 87%of 18–29 year olds use Facebook
- 73% of 30-49 year olds use Facebook
- 63% of 50-64 year olds use Facebook
- 56% of people 65+ use Facebook
Which kind of industries should be on Facebook?
Industries like consumer goods, financial services, entertainment, marketing, education, fashion, travel and hospitality, restaurants can take advantage of this social media platform better than others. Facebook definitely can be the best platform for increasing awareness of your brand and also best for sales generation.
Facebook has a ultimate direct response marketing solution that help businesses to deliver targeted messages to the right people and connect core audience.
Brands that rocks with Facebook:
- Oreo - 41m page likes: Oreo has built its dominated reputation on Facebook with its delicious cookie. Using Facebook Ads, Oreo raised awareness and interest in the legendary brand and driving greater sales of its limited edition Stanley Cup Oreos and drove millions of hockey fans during the 2014 NHL playoffs.
- Nike - 23m page likes: The most-admired sport brand achieved an 8.6x return on ad spend and 20x return on ad spend from people retargeted with Facebook. Its Korea’s online website Nike.com maximized conversions and drove many business by using Facebook's targeting solution.
As YouTube has grown-up into the paramount video sharing service online. This platform represent a grand opportunity for marketers to broadcast themselves and reach audiences with their messaging. Apparently, businesses can achieve long term success on YouTube. Here are the YouTube age demographics.
- 16% of 18–24 year olds use YouTube
- 17% of 25-34 year olds use YouTube
- 14% of 35-44 year olds use YouTube
- 14% of 45–54 year olds use YouTube
- 8% of 55–64 year olds use YouTube
- 5% of people 65+ use YouTube
Which kind of industries should be on YouTube?
Lifestyle/ Sports related industries as well as Education, Fashion, Retail, Digital Media, Education & Entertainment industries can should be on Youtube. As marketers of such industries, you can bring consumers value by offering them a look behind the scenes videos, photo shoots and fashion shows, valuable information.
Brands that rocks with YouTube:
- Ford Models - 1.26m viewers: Ford made digital buzz with YouTube by uploading a wide range of practical infotainment on the Ford Models YouTube page, including vlogs of models traveling to exotic locations, tips from pro stylists, behind the scenes videos, the content provide valuable information, etc.
- Quiksilver & Roxy - 39m viewers: Quiksilver & Roxy is known as one of the world's leading outdoor sports lifestyle company. Its success was built on extending the value of their sponsored Surf, Skate and Snowboarding event by using these events as opportunities for uploading trending videos. It drove more traffic from outside of Quiksilver & Roxy's usual audience.
An important part of Twitter for brand is that its users have a great tendency to follow brands. It is one of the most recognized platform after Facebook. Surprisingly, this platform target young user population. They mostly on the site to stay updated about latest comments from celebrities and follow the brands to take advantage of offers, contest and exclusive discounts. So, here you need to present the deals you’re offering instead of pushing your products. You can see its demographics to help you target your audience:
- 19% of 18–24 year olds use Twitter
- 22% of 25–34 year olds use Twitter
- 21% of 35-44 year olds use Twitter
- 18% of 45-54 year olds use Twitter
- 13% of 55-64 year olds use Twitter
- 7 % of people 65+ use Twitter
Which kind of industries should be on Twitter?
No matter what field your business is in, the Twitter can be best for you. Even if you have businesses related to Technology, Hotels, Marketing, E-Commerce Websites, SaaS Companies, Automaker, Sports , Entertainment and all news Organisations, Twitter make it easy to generate customer interest in your brand.
Brands that rocks with Twitter:
- Microsoft - 7.4m followers: Microsoft's multitude Twitter accounts makes them such a most-admired company on social. Interestingly, their each account has specific themes that present Microsoft as company with content based on products, customer service, security, development, news, projects, careers, conference and events. Their real-time tweet are mostly about latest trend, events and their own services. And also integrate interesting content for specific days and events which is why they are an inspirational and creative brand on social and often link to their YouTube content.
- Bonobos - 49.7k followers: As one of the largest online men’s apparel e-tailers in the U.S., @Bonobos show themselves to be a business that quickly make space with minimal effort at low cost on social media. To encourage customers for fall season line, Bonobos marketed the deal exclusively on Twitter, offering $88 chinos at a deep discount of $49. The company rallied excitement by teasing the sale with Tweets for a couple of days in advance. And, on the day of 24-hour sale, they tweeted promotion tweet on timeline. After a total of 4 retweets, the sale unlocked.Surprisingly, in single day, this great discounted campaign generated 1,200% ROI and netted nearly 100 first-time purchasers. “The ROI was incredible. We have always considered social to be a major part of our marketing strategy. This campaign greatly reinforced Twitter as a valuable channel through which we can quickly and efficiently drive sales,” said David Fudge, Head of Social Media at Bonobos.
LinkedIn is just about professionals, for professionals. Just like other platforms, LinkedIn does not have fun factors. But it is a useful business marketing resource that it has doubled its membership in the last year and now expands at a person every second. Its more powerful for your business and career.
- 14% of 18–24 year olds use LinkedIn
- 21% of 25–34 year olds use LinkedIn
- 22% of 35-44 year olds use LinkedIn
- 18% of 45-54 year olds use LinkedIn
- 16% of 55-64 year olds use LinkedIn
- 9 % of people 65+ use LinkedIn
People use the platform to find jobs, and occasionally network things they do periodically. Here, it is not wrong to say it the professional social network, because in that respect it’s perfect.
Which kind of industries should be on LinkedIn?
All professional industries like electronics, software, digital media, accounting, business magazines, bloggers, designers, free-lance marketers should be on LinkedIn. This platform is also great for small businesses to start a conversation or become a trusted source of information with the groups function.
Brands that rocks with LinkedIn:
- Dell - 1.13m followers: With LinkedIn, Dell has achieved world's largest audience of business professionals. To engage with SMB employees and entrepreneur audience and provide them innovative solutions, it built close network of IT professionals and launched India's first custom group on LinkedIn. As a result, it got 11,600+ members in just 120 days from 6,000+ Small and Medium Businesses from over 400 Towns and cities in India. It’s really great example of personalised marketing done well, and providing something a little extra back to your audience.
- EY (Ernst & Young Global Limited) - 1.2m followers: Turning on its powerful network on LinkedIn, EY got a platform to identify them with confidence and appeal on both a rational and emotional level. It drove 833 registrations for EY Alumni Network in just 6 days. And, that help it to build the brand and deliver exponential growth.
It can be right decision to start a Tumblr blog. Because, this micro-blogging platform is a virtual display holder to explain your business through supported media, content, dialogue, photos, video, audio, links or quotes. Here's a demographic that help you to grow your marketing effort with Tumblr.
- 28% of 18–24 year olds use Tumblr
- 25% of 25–34 year olds use Tumblr
- 18% of 35-44 year olds use Tumblr
- 13% of 45-54 year olds use Tumblr
- 11% of 55-64 year olds use Tumblr
- 6 % of people 65+ use Tumblr
With teen and young adults interested in self-expression, Tumblr is all the rage these days. Just like other social networks that drive quick messaging and brief glimpses at the feed, Tumblr's prominence on multimedia blog posts means users spend a lot amount of time to create and take on board what's on the site. If you are newbie, there's something for you to drive more people and make them to come back for more whether it's a GIF or keeping up with current events.
Which kind of industries should be on Tumblr?
Tumblr is best for those businesses that related to fashion & apparel, software & electronics, food & drinks, hospitality, magazines, and automotive. This platform can be successful for your campaigns to reach a specific audience because here brands can’t just talk about their own products but also get greater interest areas. And in the platform of Tumblr, where users are younger and more volatile, a great brand can build or break your marketing efforts.
Brands that rocks with Tumblr:
- Adidas: Adidas, the most-recognized sports brand used this platform essentially to share lifestyle content including the images of graffiti and fashion designers. Interestingly, Adidas is Tumblr’s first major brand campaign, by reason of acquiring a month-long campaign from Tumblr. And, this global advertiser launched it with a top-quality video at Tumblr as a sneak preview on what the site will offer and get an incredible amount of fan support.
- Apple: When it comes to fame on Social Media, Apple is anti-social. But, you might be surprised that Apple choose Tumblr to release a campaign for the iPhone 5C in March 2014. On Tumblr, it posted a videos of diverse phone colors with a different song for each under“ISee5c” webpage. This campaign coincided many the iPhone 5c’s customer. Moreover, the brand also came back to Tumblr with new iTunes site. And, Apple can keep on to use Tumblr in future, to reach younger audiences.
Pinterest is best for ecommerce businesses. Because, it is not limited till to a pin your interesting things, but it keep them influential for a considerably long lasting. No matter the size of your business, you can promote your product and your brands. If you aren’t using it yet, then consider its demographic breakdown and just check out success stories of Pinterest here.
- 15% of 18–24 year olds use Pinterest
- 26% of 25–34 year olds use Pinterest
- 21% of 35-44 year olds use Pinterest
- 17% of 45-54 year olds use Pinterest
- 15% of 55-64 year olds use Pinterest
- 7% of people 65+ use Pinterest
This platform surely makes sense for your segmentation strategies. You can get an innovate approach to promote your brand, enhance traffic levels and grow a lasting audience. You just have to think outside the box. Pinterest can be a viable solution to catch the attention of your audience while you have innovative ideas and are exploring areas to market your company.
Which kind of industries should be on Pinterest?
Pinterest is in the center attention of creators, designers, and artists. Some industries like photography, fashion, jewellery, home-hardware stores (DIY) can find a way to get creative and get started on Pinterest. When we see female-dominated, image-dominated facts about Pinterest, it make way very easy for businesses which are mostly lend themselves in that direction.
Brands that rocks with Pinterest:
- Adore Me - 53k followers: At one time, Adore Me was in search of an innovative platform that perfect fit to connect with millennial women. And, it found Pinterest. As a seller of stylish lingerie, Adore Me used Promoted Pins to reach new customers and they observe a 4000% boost in Pinterest-referred revenue. It share all that motivate from fashion and beauty to travel and good vibes.
- Allrecipes - 311.1k followers: Allrecipes is the world’s leading digital food brand. It has achieved global digital community of 30 million inspiring home cooks on Pinterest, sharing everyday food inspiration including recipes, cooking tips, & food videos. It got dramatic results on such paltform. It pinned more than 50,000 recipes and that resulted in 139 million Pinterest impressions, and clicks on Allrecipes’ Pinterest content improved more than 900% within 3 months. This is really great example of Pinterest that can be used to encourage small businesses and generate great coverage.
Since Google+ launched its social networking services in 2011, the services has expanded astronomically. Even if, the Google+ might not have the bulk user base like Facebook or a narrow use case like LinkedIn, it is certainly a platform that businesses need to consider. Presently, Google+ has more than 2.5 billion active users. It becomes an ideal platform for content sharing. Its Hangouts function and Circles and Communities function make it simple to widen brand awareness and content marketing. Take a glance on demographics of Google+.
- 16% of 18–24 year olds use Google+
- 25% of 25–34 year olds use Google+
- 22% of 35-44 year olds use Google+
- 18% of 45-54 year olds use Google+
- 13% of 55-64 year olds use Google+
- 70% of people 65+ use Google+
Above you can see the average age users, somewhat surprisingly, are between 25-34. Businesses can get an incredible amount of advantages to creating a brand presence on Google+. When you leverage your marketing strategy through Google+, you can simply manage your Google+ Page with Sprout Social and provide real-time support to drive potential consumers towards your businesses.
Which kind of industries should be on Google+?
An individual-friendly platform can be successful for tech and engineering industries as well as marketing individuals. That gives a place to businesses for getting like-minded individuals and businesses. Whether you want to expand your understanding about your field then Google+ will fir to do it.
Brands that rocks with Google+:
Android - 12m followers
With bulk of followers, Android’s Google+ page is the most admired business page. Averaging hundreds of +1’s, comments and shares are posted by Android’s audience. And its post frequency on the page increses the range from a few posts a day to greater than 10. When Android shared discounted apps post on such platform as a part of the big “10 billion app” celebration, this post got viewed by bulk of audience and gained more than 2,000 shares and more than 3,000 +1’s.
NASA - 2.81m followers
The US space agency, NASA has gained its extensive range of public figures by hosting Hangouts on regular base. This approach put it in the list of top Google+ profiles. This activity lets its followers to chat with astronauts, scientists and engineers. Its Google+ page has updated about 5 to 15 times daily through the real-time photos and video clips of space flights, links to technology and space exploration articles. During the first week of use, NASA page updated 53 times and wonderfully generated 18,854 +1’s, 7,969 shares and 1996 comments. This innovate approach is another great example of how Google+ can be used to promote your brand, increase public figures and expand a lasting audience.
Visual marketing is on the rise these days. All of above platforms are the best for this. From challenges and competitions to driving potential audience, these examples from a range of industries illustrate the social networking's potential to engage people through visual sharing.
Hopefully, these demographics and examples will inspire marketers to put a little time into their social media feeds. As reading this you surely knows, your marketing products and services doesn’t mean to other businesses if you don’t get to be creative.
Whether your business is small or you don’t have obvious visual content, there is a lot of things you can do. You just have to think beyond the box, craft creative ideas and explore more and more to market your business and capture the attention of your audience. You can also hire a professional marketing agency to handle your campaign more effectively and thrive your business in the social media space.